Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Good Neighbors


You wonder why there are wars?  You wonder why there cannot be peace in the world?

I commented on a blog where they featured Obama saying IF the perpetrators of the Boston debacle are found they will feel the weight of justice.  I remarked that while he was at it, let's get the Benghazi thing straightened out and what about those six Americans killed in Afghanistan.  A person remarked that it was my "hateful rhetoric" that inflamed the world and caused these things to happen.  A + 8= Q.

Another yahoo commenting on Yahoo said that we have been doing this to other countries for centuries so now how do we like how it feels?  Seriously.  I'm kind of old, and I do not recall a single instance of an American citizen sneaking a home made bomb into a social or political venue in a foreign country, EVER.  Correct me if I am wrong.  And yes, I know American citizens have done it in America, and  NO, I am not making an assumption that a foreign national did this.   As the Yahoo commentor did.

But here is the deal.  Let's not even bring Konrad Lorenz's goldfish into this discussion at this point.  I have the nicest neighbors in the world.  I live in a stable subdivision with the heart of middle America on display every day.  I took a walk one day and, just for fun, I counted encounters, and I stopped and conversed with eleven people.  I now use a treadmill. Someone was letting their dog pee on one of my yews and it was starting to show.  I placed a cute little ceramic plaque saying "Please curb your dog" at the exact locale and it stopped.  The person did not frisbie the ceramic plaque through my picture window as might have happened in other communities.  I have gotten in the car and driven to someones house to pick up a dog poop because Henry did more movements than I had bags that day.  I have also had people drive up to my house to carry out the same courtesy.  BUT.  The other day I went out to see my opening daffodils, and there sat the most enormous, silver-back gorilla sized dog defecation I have ever seen.  And I know exactly whose dog did it, and I thought, it doesn't matter how nice someone is, or what church they go to, anyone will try to get away with something rude or mean some time in their life.  Okay, gang up and tell me you would NEVER do that.  Move in next door.  Please.  I NEVER left a dog poop.  But on the other hand, I freely admit I have committed more grievous sins along the way that did not involve defecation.  At least not directly.  

I remember this little poem from grade school.  I don't know if it was on a "holy card" or in a book, but I know it was a male priest that said it, and that is all the attribution you are gonna get today.

There is so much good in the worst of us,
And so much bad in the best of us,
That it hardly behooves any of us
To talk about the rest of us.

Please do not use this brief and largely unconsidered commentary as the reason to begin a discussion about, psychopathy, pressure cookers or ball bearings.  Thanks for stopping by.

2 comments:

  1. It's funny that we think there are problems enough in the world yet an innocent comment or an opinion can draw such nasty responses from people. Sometimes it doesn't matter how you say things before they've twisted them and vilified you. It seems the world is full of asses and it's your turn to get them this week. Hopefully it's someone else's turn next week as your comments were fair.
    xx Hugs xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. David, Good to see you back at bat. Thanks for stopping by. I always welcome your thoughtful comments.

      Delete

Please share your thoughts with me. I'm so glad you stopped by