Friday, September 14, 2012

Politics and Friendship.

My daughter and I actually talked about politics today.  She mentioned a person who she is friendly with and likes very much.  She said she didn't know what she would do with out her, which I know is true, the person is important to her, but she is so tired of hearing the person's political views.

I lost a long lived friendship because of politics.  You are not supposed to let politics or religion affect a friendship.  You are supposed to care for that person anyway on a friendship level.

I do not get that.  If a person believes something you completely do not understand or you know is horribly wrong or misguided, how can you respect that person and be friendly with them?  Talking about your kids can only go so far.

I know, from some of my "on line friendships", that you can discuss things you have in common and avoid the political rhetoric.  But, many times,  I have to grit my teeth.  And I have to go on the political or news related websites and spout off. Then I have to check back and read how many people commented on my remarks or how many likes I get. I HAVE to do that.   And it is totally venting.  At this moment in time, I am actually trying to rein that in.

It is frustrating because I think there is nothing any one can do to change the way things are going.  I honestly think we are in for a rough time, and I honestly feel we are sitting back and doing nothing.  And don't say that won't happen. How many times in history have populations been devastated when the scourge was clearly visible and recognized and moving closer and they all, ALL, said to each other. "Everything will be okay.  It will never get that bad."

In my personal life I have said, only a few times, because it is hardly ever appropriate in my personal life, "I just need someone to tell me everything will be all right".  (Rockabye. Rockabye.)  So maybe that is human nature.  Instead of building up our fortifications and taking the necessary steps to defend ourselves, we are turning to a person who says everything will be all right.

Are we "hoping" for a good outcome?  Are we content to live or try to live with a bad outcome?  I think there are that many people among us who choose to ignore a threat or actually really have no idea about what is going on.

 I am fucking scared.


1 comment:

  1. I don't want to jump on the bandwagon, but I agree with you. I love my country, but that love will not keep it from imploding.

    I don't think that the damage done is irreversible, but I do believe that people will not be able to work together well enough to get things fixed. It doesn't look good.

    ReplyDelete

Please share your thoughts with me. I'm so glad you stopped by