Thursday, October 25, 2012

A scrivener







I have been so down on this writing thing.  Many I know are giving up the epub thing and I am growing discouraged.  At least I was. 

Last night I practiced discipline in an undisciplined way.  I have heard: "Write, no matter what.  Save it erase it, fix it, just write."  So I did.  I typed so fast.  It is a disorderly mess.  But I am looking at this story in a way that seems new to me.  I want to get the people from this point to this point and I don't know how.  I never had that problem before.  But I don't sell much, so maybe my readers have a problem with how I was doing it.  Anyway, I wrote about what happened when they got there and I know I can put in the interim easily when I am ready.  Writing doesn't scare me.  Carrying out  a task does, I am guessing.  I am maybe just lazy.  Anyway I thought it was great fun and it raced along in getting on the page just as the part of the story was racing along.  It is full of typos, but that is easy to fix.  I think.

So just when I am all down on my self and my skills and thinking I am not posting, I have no ideas, I am in the doldrums, physical junk going on, family junk going on, weather weirdness, I just now looked and my "boring post" had ninety five hits. 

Don't anyone tell me what this is all about cuz you don't know.  It is all totally random.  That is final. 

2 comments:

  1. Hello Virginia! I found your blog through a comment you made on another blog. I enjoyed this post, and can certianly relate to it. I NEED this kind of discipline in my writing life, as well. There is so much I want to write, but don't get around to whether from exhaustion or laziness. My plan is to go the e-book publishing route when I am finished with my second YA novel. Any advice? Lol.

    I would love to check out one of your books. I am thinking of purchasing Sacred Sin, it looks the most interesting to me.

    If you get a moment, would you mind stopping by my author blog and becoming a member? I have soo few. I have the same layout as yours with the birds, but it looks very different. Blogspot has been great, if only I could get a few more followers. Stop by and let me know what you think!

    www.hollymichellecurrent.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have to agree that the success of any blog tends to be totally random.Has it been tweeted, who saw it, could they be bothered to visit? all change from post to post in the same way that the number of people waiting in the queue for a bus changes. You have the regulars heading for work and then the weather dictates who else takes an outing.
    I doubt it will stop any writer from doing what they do since there's always that hope that this book, this post will be the one that gains us recognition.We have to be eternal optimists even when we're hiding in the skin of the pessimist telling ourselves we're wasting time and going nowhere.There has to be a flicker of hope that someone recognises that our blood, sweat and tears went into our current offering and will start that word of mouth movement that sells a million online and gets the offer we need from a publisher.
    I don't sell many books and waver between 'It's an unpopular genre' to 'It's no good, you're not a writer despite the good reviews' before settling on the fact that it's random. Success may be just one read away by the right person who happens on the blog, or the book just when they're in the mood for what you write.
    So, my Dear Virginia, author of quite a few books, be prepared for that randomness that may just strike this weekend when you least expect it. This post may get 6 hits only but the last may be the one that matters, who can tell you that Outside Plumbing is such a work of genius they want to publish it for you and look at your back catalogue too.
    If synchronisity happens to me this weekend I'll be sure to recommend my friends as 'just as' or 'more' worthy a look than me....but not before I have a contract in my hot little hands. Hugs

    ReplyDelete

Please share your thoughts with me. I'm so glad you stopped by